Pictures and Stories

This is a work in progress, The stories I have posted on here so far, are stories that Grandma told me when I video taped her. I have noticed I have lost some of the information and need to update some of the stories. I just need the time to re-watch the videos and translate them. When I redo them It will be word for word, My question followed my her answer. The format I have used so far is that I put a book together for her 90th Birthday. After watching the video again this last month, I'm thinking of changing it

If you have any stories, Pictures of Grandma, and Grandpa please pass them on. Also you can comment after each posting.

Also if you know all the people in the pictures, I wouldn't mind adding them also. I also still more photo to upload.

Thank You.
Kimberly (Laub) Thurston

Ethel's Church Stories

Church Stories
   
Church was in the building with the bell tower. The bell would ring half hour before school would start. Some thing with church. It would ring and we would have half hour to get there.

Mr. Wallace Martin

For a long time I worked in the Sunday School. I was Secretary of the Sunday School, I even played the piano for them to sing. Until one day when new school teacher came to town his name was Wallace Martin. And  I was up to play for the Sunday School. When no one showed up to play the music so it would be up to Ethel. Of course I played by ear and we come to the practice song, he  asked me if I would just play the alto part. I said I can’t do that” you’ve been doing it all the time I told him I don’t play by the notes I play with the ear. He was just about as embarrassed as I was. He told me afterward he said you where doing great. I couldn’t tell the difference that you weren’t play these songs by the notes. So when ever he had to leave the room he would assign me to get up and play the piano while he was gone.
Of course mutual was in the evening. And there were no homes on that bottom street. It was alright to walk until you go down by Dodinbers are now. When I would get to that corner I would be on dead run until I got home. That was the Higley’s House. And I didn’t like the Higley Boys. I thought they was mean. they never did anything to me and Clanday was one of my best friends, but in them days them Higley boys were mean. I hit my front door I get in and bang that door you would think someone was going to get me as I went through that door.  When I was telling Amy the other day she said I felt the same way all the time. I was the same way with that old bell during the day could climb into every corner  of that old mill I even go down inside of that old pipe were the water would get the big  wheel a going when night time came that was a haunted place as far as I was concerned.

We had no electricity so there was no street light or anything like that. We didn’t have electricity until the year just after Sheila was born.


No comments: