Pictures and Stories

This is a work in progress, The stories I have posted on here so far, are stories that Grandma told me when I video taped her. I have noticed I have lost some of the information and need to update some of the stories. I just need the time to re-watch the videos and translate them. When I redo them It will be word for word, My question followed my her answer. The format I have used so far is that I put a book together for her 90th Birthday. After watching the video again this last month, I'm thinking of changing it

If you have any stories, Pictures of Grandma, and Grandpa please pass them on. Also you can comment after each posting.

Also if you know all the people in the pictures, I wouldn't mind adding them also. I also still more photo to upload.

Thank You.
Kimberly (Laub) Thurston

Ethel's Childhood Holidays

Holidays

The 4th of July we would meet down by where the Anderson’s live and there were lots of Cotton trees and big ditch It was always shaded and we would hold our race there under the trees.

On July 24th My dad would take our wagon, not everyone in town but a good share of them would take their wagon put the canvice cover on like the pioneers and hang our fry pans on the side. All of us kids would pile in there as if we were coming across the plains. We would come up the street and just about by the where the rec center is the Indians attacked us. It really scared me to death, I thought we really had it. I don’t remember who all was Indians the only one I can remember is Almy (Alma) Leavitt.

Easter we would make us a lunch and go somewhere to eat it. Seems like we usually went to Beaver dams, it got where they decided it wasn’t a good place to go all the cotton wood tree’s were blooming with leaves and filled with caterpillars we about decided we were eating more caterpillars than food. So we decided that had to come to a stop too.


For Christmas one year when I was a child our family all got together, Married and all on Christmas Eve. And on this Christmas Eve they were going to open all the presents I thought that just spoiled the whole Christmas. We suppose to wait till Christmas morning. I’ve never forgot that.

If we got a new pair of shoes we would get them for Christmas or we might get a new dress.

I remember this one year I got a doll. When Kenneth had the store down here we would go up there and he would have all the dolls with a thing around their waist or neck hanging up by all the yards of cloth along  the wall and these dolls would be hanging and bb guns and everything else you would think of for Christmas. And I remember getting this one doll and I got a buggy it was a borrowed one. I had it so long then I had to give it back, It was Aunt Chloes, she had it since she was a little tiny girl. The doll I got the body was cloth and hands and head was sewed on and on her neck of the doll was a crack and I thought it was really sick and I thought I had to take better care of it. I wondered why thy would give me that doll instead of a perfect one. I guess I was suppose to tend to it. And I knew I could only keep the buggy for so long, and then I had to give it back to Aunt Chloe. Every time I would go put that doll in the buggy to take it for a ride I would always have it wrapped up thinking it were sick. I had to take really good care of it. I don’t know how long I kept that buggy before I finally gave it up. I know  anyway a couple of years. It took it that long to get well or for me to realize it wasn’t sick. I was probably the one that was sick.

I didn’t start quilting until after I was married. All I had done before was get under the quilts my mother had on and make my paper doll houses under the quilt.  Of Course the sewing machine would be sitting there and we would all fight to see who would get the sewing machine for the a house because the treadle would make a good house. So we had to be fast on foot to get that.
We would cut our paper dolls out of the sears catalog. We would cut out the girls and boys and the babies and they would be out paper dolls.
Somebody tried to still them. I know one day Jessie Waite came down to play with me and after she left I went to put things away. I said that dame Jessie stole my certain girl and boy. I said dame her. She didn’t have them in her hand she probably had them up her boomerangs. Can you imagine someone wanting a paper doll.  We kept close tabs on every paper doll and furniture we had. A thread spool was a mighty good thing for our doll house or a match box or anything that was chair a table a bed what ever. The paper dolls all laid in a box out flat. everything else we would keep them. That was big  business.
I didn’t ever ride a bike until I was older. I tried my sisters boy bike he was a couple of years younger than me. In front of Sheila’s house there was  a lot of cottonwood trees and I tried to ride that bike right up that tree. 

No comments: