Pictures and Stories

This is a work in progress, The stories I have posted on here so far, are stories that Grandma told me when I video taped her. I have noticed I have lost some of the information and need to update some of the stories. I just need the time to re-watch the videos and translate them. When I redo them It will be word for word, My question followed my her answer. The format I have used so far is that I put a book together for her 90th Birthday. After watching the video again this last month, I'm thinking of changing it

If you have any stories, Pictures of Grandma, and Grandpa please pass them on. Also you can comment after each posting.

Also if you know all the people in the pictures, I wouldn't mind adding them also. I also still more photo to upload.

Thank You.
Kimberly (Laub) Thurston

Dating and Marriage


Dating Dutch (Lorin Leavitt)



Dutch was working in the CC Camp up here. There was quite a few of them , him, uncle Vince, there was quite a few from Mesquite that were in the CC Camp.  The CC camp was like the service. There were no jobs so they to to do something. So they had this CC Camp. I can’t remember what CC stands for. They didn’t get much pay, this was during the depression But he worked there and I worked down here at the store.

That’s when I started dating Dutch. Vince and Erma invited me down to there place to make Ice Cream and that’s when I started going out with him.

He was married at the time. He got married and she took off the day after they were married. She went to Salt Lake and never came back. She was from back where he went on his mission.  She just figured if she came out here and marry him, he didn’t feel like getting married when she came , but he thought she made this long trip out here I guess I should marry her. He never knew her out there he was in the Hospital for appendix and she was in there for something else she was having a Hysterectomy she would send notes up to him with the nurses. That was the first he ever meet her. He saw her a few times after he got out of the hospital, but he wasn’t allowed to date but any way when he came home after his dad died. Uncle Vince and Tom footed the bill for him after his mission times got so rough and they couldn’t do it either so he had to come home. He had a book with every penny that he spent he spent about $30.00 a month. But Vince and Tom couldn’t afford it either so he came home from an Honorable mission.


We dated quit a while. But when we decided to get married we wrote President Grant to make sure. We were trying to get a Temple emolument. We would write letters and waited and waited for an answer but it never came. Bishop Fish and Dutch wrote again and never got an answer. So the next time Dutch wrote he told him that we have waited and waited trying to get an emolument on this marriage and that we about decided we were going to get a civil marriage and go through the temple latter.

We got an answer right back in a hurry and it was right from President Grant and he said. “Evidently Brother Leavitt you don’t realize a man don’t have to get an emolument but a  lady does. Men can have as many wives as he wants, but a women can only have one.”
So the next week or so we was gone.  

Then we had ------- Hughes come over from Mesquite she wanted to see that letter and as soon as we let her see that letter she went right over and there was two or three over in mesquite that were waiting to go to the temple too.


Ethel's Handsome Man! 





No comments: